About the cities of the Palos Verdes Peninsula
Imagine living amongst rolling hills, breathing clean air, and enjoying breathtaking city and ocean views, while remaining in close proximity to a major urban and economic center. The Palos Verdes Peninsula is an attractive part of southern California that has been able to retain its old world charm and has kept away rapid commercial and residential growth, as demonstrated by most of southern California. This “small town” feel has been made possible by strict zoning codes that prohibit billboards and restrict the growth of unwanted commercial and industrial complexes that would degrade the Peninsula’s natural beauty.
Rancho Palos Verdes, Palos Verdes Estates, Rolling Hills Estates, and Rolling Hills are the four exclusive cities that make up the Peninsula and are home to many schools, places of worship, and an array of entertainment facilities and shopping centers. Despite the fact that there are four cities located on the peninsula, they all have been able to retain a quaint feeling along with a strong sense of community.
This is why the relaxed yet luxurious lifestyle of the Palos Verdes Peninsula has become a world renowned destination for many. Being located in a semi-rural area in close proximity to the Pacific Ocean has its advantages, especially for the outdoor enthusiast. The Peninsula and nearby coastal cities are home to many recreational activities including bicycling, jogging, equestrian activities, sailing, fishing, surfing, scuba diving, ice skating, swimming, and tennis. For those who are interested in cultural activities, Norris Community Theater, Peninsula Symphony, Symphonic Band, Chamber Orchestra of the South Bay, Palos Verdes Community Art Center, South Coast Botanical Garden and the Community Association of the Peninsula are all conveniently located.
History of the Palos Verdes Peninsula
During the era of California exploration by the Spaniards in the mid 1500’s, the Palos Verdes Peninsula had been on the mind of Spanish explorer Juan Cabrillo. Even though he wrote about this remarkable place in 1542, the Peninsula remained undisturbed by settlers for almost three hundred years. The Gabrielino Indians inhabited the land for centuries, and even today their artifacts are still being discovered and unearthed from the Peninsula.
After centuries of inhabitation of the Gabrielino Indians, Don Dolores Sepulveda received an original land grant in 1827 to Rancho de los Palos Verdes, which translates to “Ranch of The Green Trees”. This land grant, which was approximately 32,000 acres, was awarded by the Governor of Mexico California. For over 35 years, Don Sepulveda transformed this land into a prosperous hacienda which supported thousands of heads of cattle.
After the course of 35 years the Sepulveda family ended up losing much of the land through various mortgage holders to Jotham Bixby of Rancho Los Cerritos. After the acquisition by Bixby, the land was transformed from a hacienda of grazing cattle to a farm for grains and vegetables. The land was leased to Japanese farmers and by 1913, most of it was owned by a group of New York investors. The land became divided into large estates and one of the investors, Frank Vanderlip, became partnered with real estate promoter E.G. Lewis, who together began the land development process. Vanderlip, the founding father of the Peninsula, was responsible for the first homes appearing in 1924 and the gradual development of the Peninsula over the next fifty years.
Please feel free to contact me with any questions about buying or selling your home on the Palos Verdes Peninsula: